Wednesday 21 July 2010

Annie from Hysterical Injury talks set-up’s.

We are a duo using bass guitar, drums and voice. For the bass to make up the foundation bass lines and double up as a guitar in the loud bits, at the moment I use various guitar and bass fx pedals, 1000watt Ampeg BR4 with two 2x12 Lombardi speaker cabinets, 65 valve watts Ampeg 1969 Gemini twin guitar amp which I am soon to have a twin dual cone speaker guitar cab for it as well. I use a DI box with high and low impedance outputs to split my bass signal then feed them via the pedals to the bass amp and guitar amp. This allows me more scope and flexibility with the sound as I can play with signal sounds individually.

From the bass guitar to the bass amp I currently take a high impedance signal to an Electroharmonix Micro POG through to an Electroharmonix Bass Big Muff to a Tech 21 Sans Amp Bass Overdrive then to the Ampeg BR4 with the Lombardi stack. I use the POG usually at full turns on both the octave up and down so I get a massive range across three octaves- the one I play, the one above and one below. It gets really low and the tracking of the note with this pedal is fantastic. Someone said to me once that my bass sounded like a harpsichord – it was this pedal that did it. The Big Muff is the bass equivalent to the infamous guitar Big Muff but deals with the higher bass signal better than the one made for guitar. It has gorgeous warm fuzz and doesn’t squeeze the bass signal like I have found other pedals to do. I use the Tech 21 Sans Amp Bass Over Drive to boost the signal in the bass frequencies to make the bass end sparkle.

From the bass to the guitar amp I currently run a low signal level through a Zvex Fuzz Factory and then an MXR Delay pedal. Both these are guitar pedals. The Fuzz Factory gets the wild and sparkly fuzz/noise tones that I like. It is a very controllable / wild pedal if that makes sense, you can get some incredible hot fuzz and control it with the gate and compressor on it with amazing accuracy but I like its raw wildness. The MXR delay is a new addition, which so far I have used to brighten and give space to the Zvex sounds. That’s what I use at the moment but things change as the songs demand more and different sounds.

Annie Gardiner



Note, the EHX Carbon Copy on the diagram should be MXR Carbon Copy.

No comments:

Post a Comment